Tips on Finding The Right Contractor:
- Always get at least three estimates. You’ll be amazed how different they can be.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau about companies you’re considering. Request and check references.
- Ask around: a solid recommendation from friends or family can be worth its weight in gold.
- Don’t pay in advance. A deposit is acceptable. Make sure you make a check out to a company name, not an individual.
- Resist high-pressure sales tactics and door-to-door salesman. There’s probably a reason they have to sell so hard.
- Get a written contract that specifies the price, work to be done and a time frame.
- Be careful of price gouging, especially in the immediate aftermath of a storm.
- Pay by credit card, if possible: it may give you additional protection if there’s a problem. Otherwise, pay by check. Never pay cash.
- Ensure that the contractor’s vehicle has signs or markings on it with the business name and phone number.
- All estimates, warranties and promises must be put in writing on company letterhead.
- Ask for proof that licenses and registrations are valid, teh contractor and any related trades people are bonded and third-party insurance and injury insurance is in place.
Most of all, TRUST YOUR GUT!